Whitireia New Zealand
Whitireia New Zealand is a government owned and funded tertiary institute of technology, known for its high student success rate and culturally diverse student body.
It has grown since its establishment in 1986 on the shores of Porirua Harbour, to become an 13,000 student operation with seven campuses in Auckland, Wellington, Kāpiti and Porirua.
In the last four years Whitireia has undergone substantial development to enhance its Auckland, Porirua and Kāpiti campuses with an award winning library, industry trades centre, business and IT building, health and education centre and the redevelopment of the Auckland Campus at its central Queen Street location.
Students consider the high academic quality of Whitireia programmes to be a point of difference when they want to learn abroad, represented by the support offered by tutors to be above all other educational providers, dedicated to providing students with an education that will support a student’s chosen career and ensure they are prepared with the right skills to begin working.
Our school location
- Whitireia New Zealand is located over seven campuses within New Zealand’s North Island.
- The main Wellington campus is situated in Porirua.
- Whitireia New Zealand in Kapiti is a new, modern campus in central Paraparaumu specifically designed for the needs of Whitireia’s outdoor education, cookery, office administration, beauty, photography and specialist New Zealand Institute of Management (NZIM) qualifications.
- The Wellington City campuses are located in the central business district. The Cuba Street Media Training Centre specialises in multimedia and journalism programmes and also offers English language study and courses for professionals studying for career advancement. The Performance Centre provides programmes in stage and screen, music, and is housed in a mutli-level campus providing students with a unique space tailored for the needs of their chosen discipline.
- The Auckland campus is in the heart of the Auckland City central business district. It specialises in English, Business, Hospitality, Information Technology and Early Childhood Education courses for international students wishing to learn abroad.
Our school facilities
- Student focused common areas for games, a kitchen and dining
- Silent study areas
- Student project rooms
- Student Counsellor
- Visa and Homestay Coordinator
- Computer labs
- Small class sizes
- Free wi-fi access
- New Zealand Institute of Chartered Accountants (NZICA) Accounting Technician (AT) and Associate Chartered Accountant (ACA) designations with the Bachelor of Applied Business Studies, Finance major.
- City & Guilds Trainer
- Hospitality Institute of New Zealand (HIS) approved training provider
Course information and details
Certificate in English (Level 3)
1 year full-time or by 12 – 14 week blocks.
This English programme offers flexible learning options to a wide of range of learners. It will suit international students who want to take up tertiary study in New Zealand or new New Zealanders who want to strengthen their English language skills to work and/or participate in New Zealand society.
This intensive English course teaches speaking, listening, reading and writing skills and develops effective communication in everyday situations. Learning is supported by a language lab and computer software.
The programme is open to all speakers of other languages who would like to improve their English language skills. Textbooks are used to support all work undertaken in class.
- The Certificate covers: elementary; pre-intermediate; intermediate levels
Certificate in English (Advanced) (Level 4)
This programme is for speakers of other languages who are already speaking and writing English at an intermediate leve. Improve your understanding, speaking, reading and writing of English at an advanced level. You can apply for a full year or enrol block by block.
Students who complete one block will exit with a Certificate in Upper Intermediate or Advance level.
Students who complete the three levels will received a Certificate in English Language (Advanced).
The Certificate in English Language (Advanced) prepares students for work or for further studies at a polytechnic or university. Students are encouraged to apply for other courses when they have completed English studies.
- The Advanced Certificate covers: upper-intermediate; advanced; academic levels
The programme includes:
- Listening skills
- Speaking skills
- Reading skills
- Writing skills
- Effective communication
- English for everyday situations
This English programme offers flexible learning options to a wide range of students who learn abroad. It will suit international students who want to take up tertiary study in New Zealand or new New Zealanders who want to strengthen their English language skills in order to work and/or participate in New Zealand society.
Homestay with a host family can be arranged, as can student accommodation. Students also have the choice to go ‘flatting’.
- Homestay: A great way to learn about New Zealand culture
- ‘Flatting’: renting accommodation for yourself