Nelson English Centre
Study English in New Zealand
A Unique School in a top location:
Nelson English Centre is a unique school in beautiful Nelson, New Zealand. Nelson is a small lively campus-style city where you can easily meet friends and enjoy practicing your English. Only one hour from Nelson is three national parks.
Nelson English Centre is a well-known New Zealand English language school with international links.
Prices / Courses and Accommodation
See the full price list on the school’s website.
Also, you can contact our staff at any time for a detailed price quote: Contact All About Languages
Nelson English Centre started in 1995 with the goal of being a high quality school in one of most beautiful parts of New Zealand. Since then over 3,500 students from more than 20 countries have succeeded in improving their English here.
Nelson is one of three places in New Zealand where students can sit Cambridge examinations and Nelson English Centre has developed a reputation as a preparation centre for Cambridge FCE and CAE.
Nelson English Centre was accepted into ENGLISH NEW ZEALAND in 1999 and IALC in 2008. The school cooperates with Nelson Marlborough Institute of Technology (NMIT) for further studies in tourism, IT and business.
Our Promise to You:
- A warm welcome, friendly staff and great school atmosphere.
- Good teachers and a well-organized teaching program
- Excellent academic leadership and international links. We have been inspected by ENGLISH NEW ZEALAND and IALC (International Association of Language Centers). We have strong links to the UK.
- A variety of accommodation including carefully selected homestay families and information on local flats and apartments.
- Top activities program including Abel Tasman, free salsa lessons in our own dance studio and much, much more.
- We listen to our students.
- We help you and care for you as adult guests as well as students.
Nelson English Centre is housed in an art deco style building right in the heart of Nelson city. Banks, cafes, the bus station and the post office are one minute away. The school has twelve colorful classrooms with natural light and a lively student area.
Nelson English Centre is the only school in Australasia with its own salsa and yoga dance floor. Visitors always love the feeling of the school.
- Two lounges: This is the social heart of the school, with comfortable relaxed seating. There is a large screen satellite TV and a number of quiet areas.
- Student kitchen: Free tea and coffee and microwaves for light lunches.
- Satellite TV with sport and movies and free internet access: Internet access includes computers and wireless access in the student room.
- Activities ‘cave’: There are activities of all sorts including many free activities. As well, there are regular trips to Kaikoura, Abel Tasman, Golden Bay and much much more.
- Reception: Ask any question. Staff loves to help.
- Monthly Wednesday lunch – ‘international food day’: Once a month students bring and share food from their own country.
- Table tennis: To relax the brain after a hard morning studying.
- Small self-study centre: A quieter self-study area.
- Outside the front of the school: Enjoy the fresh air at coffee break.
- The top of Trafalgar Street: Trafalgar Street across from the school.
- Nelson English Centre ‘Uptown’: Main school building.
- Nelson English Centre ‘Lambrettas’: The second school building, directly across from the main building.
Nelson, New Zealand – The perfect learning environment
Nelson is one of New Zealand’s favorite seaside cities. It is a convenient campus style city with tree-lined streets. It is a great place for students to make friends and practice their English.
Near Nelson there is something for everyone: a huge variety of beaches, mountains, apple farms and vineyards, skydiving or just lying on the golden beaches of Abel Tasman. Our activities program will take you there.
Nelson English Centre offers the following courses: Full time and part time general English, Cambridge FCE and CAE examination preparation, counseling and preparation for other international English examinations such as IELTS, TOEIC and TOEFL.
Students of all ability levels and aged 18 years or over may enroll to study English in New Zealand. After a placement test, students will be put into a class at the appropriate level, with one teacher for the morning and another for the afternoon.
The syllabus systematically guides students in developing their use of English for effective communication. Progress is carefully monitored in speaking, listening, reading and writing. Morning classes aim to introduce and consolidate new language items, with particular attention to vocabulary and grammar.
Afternoon work boosts fluency, building confidence in a wide range of speaking, writing, reading and listening activities
- Full time (23 hours per week)
- Part time (15 hours per week)
Accommodation: A City with Heart
Homestay*: We are the only private English school in Nelson and have many wonderful Nelson homestay families. We also have a well-organized system to make sure you get the best possible experience.
Homestay is living with a Kiwi family and doing what Kiwi’s do. Homestay includes breakfast and dinner Monday to Friday and breakfast, lunch and dinner on Saturday and Sunday. You will have your own room which will have a bed, study table etc. Most homestays are within a 30 minute walk to school or easy to get to on a bike or by bus.
All our homestay families are different, some of our homestay families have internet at home and some will lend bikes to students for their duration of study. We try and best match you the student with a family who has the same interests as you as well as trying to match your requests that we receive on the enrolment form, eg near the beach, family with children etc.
The advantage of homestay is that you will get all day English practice and experience the kiwi lifestyle. Our homestay coordinator is here to help with any questions or problems you may have.
- Accommodation is at students’ disposal from the Sunday before beginning of course until the Saturday morning following end of course.
- Not included: airfare, airport transfers, course materials, medical insurance