English and Wine Appreciation
Hawke’s Bay, the region around Napier, is New Zealand’s finest food and wine destination, home to fabulous award-winning wines at over 70 wineries, as well as delightful fresh produce.
Hawke’s Bay is New Zealand’s leading producer of reds in the Bordeaux style wines, Syrah and arguably for Chardonnay too and is the second largest wine region in the country. 5000 hectares of grapes are planted, representing 20% of New Zealand’s total production. High sunshine hours and variety of soil types make the region ideally suited to the growing of fruit and wine.
With over 80% of New Zealand’s plantings of Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc and Syrah grapes, Hawke’s Bay gained a reputation in little more than 20 years for superb reds and for rich and complex Chardonnays.
Sample Programme for English and Wine Appreciation
A two or a four week programme introduces students to local wines, to grape growing and winemaking, to wine appreciation and the regions’ unique growing conditions.
Each week covers General English in the morning and a 2 hour course on wine-related topics in the afternoon with tastings at two different wineries.
This course is only open to students aged 18 and over. It is suitable for all levels of English, however there is particular vocabulary relating to horticulture, viticulture, wine making and taste that students will be required to learn and be familiar with.
- Introduction to New Zealand wines
- History, development, regions, varieties
- Visit / tasting at Mission Estate winery
- Introduction to winemaking
- Visit Museum and tasting at Church Road winery
- Introduction to wine appreciation
- Taste, smell, visual aspects, wine glasses
- Visit / tasting at Ngatarawa winery
- Visit / tasting at Crossroads winery
- Introduction to viticulture and vineyards
- Varieties, characteristics
- Visit / tasting at Clearview winery
- Visit / tasting at Sacred Hill winery
- Classic wines of New Zealand
- Food matching
- Pleasures of wine, buying guide
- Visit / tasting at Te Mata winery
- Wine and food evening
New Horizon College of English reserves the right to change programs where necessary.
- Homestay accommodation is included in all prices (single room, half-board)