AU FRANC GOURMET
CULTURAL WEEK AT LE FRANC PARLER
The themes for this week are the introduction to the traditional foods of the region of South West France and the presentation of different ways to prepare and serve them. These themes underline and structure the French language lessons and associated practical activities, for example shopping in the market and ordering in a restaurant or purchasing products at a vineyard.
- 10:30-11:00 Welcome and introductions at Le Franc Parler School
- 11-12:00 Short stroll to discover the mediaeval conservation area of Cahors
- 16:30-22:00: Cookery course with M. Gilles Marre, Head Chef at “Le Balandre”
Practical exercises and then dinner together in the kitchens of the Balandre Hotel Note: In December, the course will include the speciality, foie gras; in February, special, fresh, Quercy black truffles. (Please expect a price supplement)
- 10:00-12:00: Introduction to the culture of Cahors wines by an oenologist
- Study of the designation “l’appellation Cahors”
- 14:00-18:00: Visits to vineyards: the vines, wineries, wine tasting.
- On the last visit, wine tasting and a gourmand snack
- 9 :00-11 :00 : A French lesson based on “The Market”
- 11 :00-12 :00 : Discovery of the Market and its local producers; a guided visit by M. Gilles Marre : how to choose market products
- 9 :00-12 :00 : Themed French lesson
- 16:30 / 18:00: a one and a half hour boat trip on the River Lot from Pont Valentré
- 18 :15 : A heritage “taster” (a particular element of Cahors’ architectural heritage is explained by a tour guide, followed by a tasting of Cahors wines and a little “mise en bouche”)
- 9 :00-12 :00 : French lesson (with a restaurant theme)
- 14 :30/19 :00 : Fromage de France (“Cheeses of France”) workshop instructed by cheese refiner M. Patrick Marty of the Cahors covered market “les Halles”
- Goodbye dinner at the restaurant « l’Ô à la Bouche » or on the barge restaurant on the River Lot « Au Fil des Douceurs » (optional)
Courses organised for the last week of each month
Included in this price: all the lessons and excursions plus 4 lunch time meals and dinner on Monday evening
Not included in the price: half board (accommodation and breakfast and evening meals with the family, one student per family, guaranteed)
At a hotel, prices vary depending upon the type of room chosen:
- In a 3 star hotel, for a room with ensuite shower or small bath,for a room with ensuite bathroom, for a room with ensuite bathroom and terrace, for a suite. All prices are for private rooms and include breakfast.
- For a twin bedroom, depending upon the type of room, per person for 6 nights, including breakfast.