Cuisine and Wine Trail, Terramare, Ortobello, Italy
The Tuscan Maremma is one of the Italian regions in which the food-industry tends more towards organic production processes and finds a natural ally in the most ancient tradition of Mediterranean cuisine and wine making.
The students attending this course will be able to enter the kitchen of traditional Italian families and prepare, with their own hands and under the guidance of expert cooks, traditional dishes (from starters to desserts), and to taste these dishes with some of the best Italian wines.
This is a two-week course which includes:
- 20 hours of general Italian language, Monday to Friday from9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- 1 afternoon workshop on Mediterranean typical cuisine (4 course meal). The dishes will be eaten at dinner, with the host family.
- Visit to the fish farm on the Laguna di Orbetello, dinner at the fishermen’s restaurant with typical local dishes.
- Day excursion to the Isola del Giglio (with possibility of trekking, visit to the medieval town, fish lunch at a restaurant on the beach, swim in the sea).
- Visit to a local organic food farm, with local foods and organic wines tasting.
- Afternoon visit to the Maremma inland, its medieval, rock-clinging towns and Etruscan necropolis; stopover at the spa centre in Saturnia; dinner in typical local restaurant.
- 1 afternoon workshop of typical Maremma and Lazio cuisine, cooking a full 4 course meal, dinner with the host family in their seaside villa.
- Afternoon excursion to the Maremma Natural Park; evening stopover at La Parrina farm with local wine tasting.
- Visit to the local dairy, cheese-making centre “Caseificio di Manciano”.
- 2 hours of language studie.
- All fees are included in the price.
- Accommodation not included.